WHAT IS A HYDROPLANE?
- It’s a watercraft composed of a single-seat hull with two pontoons and a cockpit.
- A hydroplane is pushed out of the water by a propeller, which is driven by a powerful engine.
- Characteristics of hydroplanes and hydroplane racing include: Mandatory left turns, frequent skidding, high risk of collision, close to no visibility, and no braking system.
- Here’s why some describe a hydroplane as, “A plane without wings”: As speed picks up, air infiltrates the empty space located between the two pontoons – the tunnel – and lifts the boat up.
- The goal is to keep as little of the boat in contact with the water as possible—ideally, only the propeller and the end of both pontoons touch the water.
HOW FAST DOES A HYDROPLANE GO?
It depends on the size and class of the hydroplane. For the smallest class, the top speed is 100+ mph, and the Grand Prix class is 170+ mph.
WHERE IS THE EVANSVILLE HYDROFEST RACING SITE?
The Evansville HydroFest takes place on the Ohio River at Dress Plaza in Downtown Evansville, Indiana USA.
WHAT IS THE PRICE OF ADMISSION?
It’s just $10 for 3 days of non-stop hydroplane racing, plus children 12 and under are FREE. Evansville HydroFest™ admission wristbands go on sale June 29th! Buy wristbands at area banks, credit unions, and businesses.
WHERE IS THE BEST SPOT TO WATCH THE RACES?
Evansville has the most ideal racecourse in the circuit where you see every race in its entirety—no spectator blind spots. The spectator sections are along the banks of the Ohio River on Riverside Drive. There will also be designated areas for spectators in boats at each end of the racecourse.
ARE THE PITS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?
Absolutely! The drivers and their crewmembers will happily answer any questions you may have and take a photo with you. You can purchase your pit pass at the tent located next to the pit entrance. Please note, children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
The pits are divided in two distinct sections: a restricted area (hot pit) and an open area. The cranes are located in the restricted area. Flat shoes are definitely recommended!
SHOULD I ARRIVE EARLY?
If you can, you should get to the site early to secure your seat in the bleachers or in the open, grassy area. Lawn chairs are permitted in the grassy area.
CAN I BRING MY COOLER AND ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ON THE SITE?
You may bring a small cooler to the site. Alcohol is permitted but no glass is allowed. The security team reserves the right to deny entry to anyone carrying a substance or material judged dangerous to spectators and participants. Weapons are prohibited.
Always keep bottles of sunscreen and water nearby. Be sure to wear a hat/cap, and sunglasses. First aid teams will be on-site throughout the event.
WHAT ABOUT LODGING?
WHERE ARE THE NEAREST CAMPSITES?
Click here for information about campgrounds and RV accommodations.
WHAT ARE THE POPULAR ATTRACTIONS OF THE REGION?
Plan your stay by visiting visitevansville.com.